1 - Get the students to choose 5 different coloured pencils.
2 - Assign the 5 colours to 5 different things as below:
- Colour 1: Underline the key question words in the question.
- Colour 2: Underline the key words in the answer.
- Colour 3: Underline the connectives in the answer.
- Colour 4: Underline the examples given in the answer, to support the answer.
- Colour 5: Underline the words from the question that appear in the answer.
3 - Benefits for the students:
- Identifying the question type that requires answering.
- Identifying what is missing in their answers.
- Simple self/peer assessment technique to allow them to see what they have included.
- Linking the extended writing to what is needed to gain the higher marks.
I tried this with some of my science students this week, they were able to pin-point exactly what was missing from their answers and what type of answer was required in the first place.